Categories
Uncategorized

Labs 8+9 Dashboard and Story

The above dashboard shows a general overview of the popularity of baby names in the last 100 years, including gender ratio & prevalence and baby name popularity by gender. I created this dashboard by creating a dispersion plot for the ratio of female and male names as compared to the total population as well as two tree maps for each gender. The visualizations show that gendered names (such as “Mary” and “John”) have a higher popularity over time than more androgynous names (such as “Jaime” and “Adison”).

The above dashboard shows a more specified look at the popularity of baby names in the past 100 years. This dashboard allows the user to select a name of their choosing to see the breakdown of the name by gender, the number of occurrences of the name by year, the number of occurrences of the name over the last 100 years, as well as a comparison of the name to the three most popular male and female names. I created this dashboard by adding a “Search name” parameter to all the included visualizations.

Lastly, I added both dashboards to the story board for a more complete final visualizations. The user starts with the more generalized dashboard, then moves on to the more specified dashboard. I created this storyboard by dragging both dashboards into view, then creating captions to guide the user through the story.